POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering voxel-style functions in Povray : Re: Rendering voxel-style functions in Povray Server Time
5 Oct 2024 18:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering voxel-style functions in Povray
From: twinbee
Date: 16 Sep 2009 17:25:00
Message: <web.4ab1573719a8cf54813aa4820@news.povray.org>
> > Thanks. Until then, is there another 3D renderer I can try out which allows
> > local vars and while loops inside functions like this?
>
> Why do you need this?

To create 3D fractals - in particular a 3D version of the
mandelbrot. Unfortunately, while loops are required here.
Here's one example of what I might produce (Rendered by Paul Nylander):

http://www.bugman123.com/Hypercomplex/Mandelbrot-White8-large.jpg

> As far as I understand, you do not
> actually have voxels as input data, but use functions. You
> did not yet explain where the color values come from.

I'm not so worried about the color as yet. Even
mono-hued would be good.

> Worst case, you can just create a bunch of boxes,
> should still be possible with a suset of 100x100x100.

I'm a little worried using voxels will be too slow,
or produce results which aren't satisfactory... (?)
1000 voxels cubed would be minimum I guess.