POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Silly portal question : Silly portal question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Silly portal question
From: Reactor
Date: 15 Sep 2009 17:55:00
Message: <web.4ab00c721ab924fbb92de52d0@news.povray.org>
(Please see attached diagram, assume Portal physics, and assume that the steel
beam is perfectly aligned, balanced, and centered in two perfectly aligned
portals)

A possible application for such a setup could be energy production (if a
permanent magnet or series of magnets were on the beam, and you had a coil
around it).  What are other applications for this setup?  What if you had to
bring the beam to a complete stop every week for maintenance?

Assuming new portal formation is instantaneous and doesn't close the other
portal, what would happen if you came across this setup, and suddenly launched
the other portal onto a wall?  That is, assuming that the steel beam comes out,
what shape would it be?

I don't know why thinking about this amuses me so much.

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'portal question.png' (22 KB)