POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Exporting from Wings 3D : Re: Exporting from Wings 3D Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:35:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Exporting from Wings 3D
From: Reactor
Date: 8 Sep 2009 00:05:00
Message: <web.4aa5d730ee8940d47b8655bf0@news.povray.org>
"John" <afu### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I just found Wings 3D, and it's exactly what I want in a modeler. I have two
> questions though.
>
> 1. When I export to POV-Ray format, the view, when rendered, is all askew, and
> things are out of proportion.
>
> And
>
> 2. What is the best way to do textures? Should I make a texture in Wings 3D, and
> then export to POV-Ray? Or should I just edit the textures in POV-Ray? And what
> is the best way of doing both of those?
>
> Thanks!!

I absolutely love Wings as a modeling tool, but it can be a little funky at
times.  I tend not to use the scene it generates during export.  Instead, I
make the exported scene into an include, declare the meshes as objects, and
build my scene correctly around them using my own camera and light source
settings.  If you do decide to use the Wings generated scene, be aware of its
quirks (note that I am using an older version):

Light sources do not have a comma between the Y component and Z component of the
location.  This is acceptable to POV-ray without a warning, unfortunately, as it
leads to things like <1.2345, 5.6789 - 0.1234> being incorrectly interpreted as
a 2 component vector. This only happens with the light_source (to my
knowledge).

As for textures, I generally do it in POV if I am using procedural textures.
For image maps, UV mapping can be done in Wings.  However, beware that using UV
mapping but not putting all of the faces in a UV chart can make the exporter
fail.  Also, look out for the way Wings textures use the ambient part of the
finish - it usually uses ambient 1, but drops the ambient_light param in the
global_settings.

Handedness - Wings uses the right hand system (i.e. the +z-axis points away from
the screen, where as POV expects it to point towards the screen.  Either flip
your items on export, flip them in POV, or change the camera right vector.

As for best, I'd say whatever is easiest and suits your purposes.

-Reactor