POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering voxel-style functions in Povray : Re: Rendering voxel-style functions in Povray Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:37:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering voxel-style functions in Povray
From: triple r
Date: 6 Sep 2009 12:20:00
Message: <web.4aa3e10c19a8cf54958421d50@news.povray.org>
"twinbee" <twi### [at] skytopiacom> wrote:
> Hi all, I need to be able to render arbitrary functions easily. In other words,
> the following function would draw a sphere by checking a giant 3D grid of
> say... 100x100x100 voxels to check if the point is in the sphere:

There are a couple options.  I would probably recommend isosurfaces if you don't
actually NEED the grid representation.  It just boils down to a root-finding
problem.  That means you can specify an arbitrarily complex function without
the need for grids.  I won't go into much detail since others have said it
better:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/73/

If you do need a voxel representation, then df3 is the way to go.  Again, the
following page gives an excellent description.  You can also use it to create
surfaces (i.e. not just volume-rendering), but unless you need more detail
here, I won't get carried away.

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/miscellaneous/df3/

 - Ricky