POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Function for air density : Re: Function for air density Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function for air density
From: triple r
Date: 1 Sep 2009 21:25:01
Message: <web.4a9dc7ea1540ef51958421d50@news.povray.org>
SharkD <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I'm applying the media to the difference of two very large spheres.
> Currently, the inner sphere (the Earth's radius) is set to "6375000 *
> Meters", where Meters is equal to 4. I'm not sure how big to make the
> outer sphere.

Just make it go up to 50 or 100km.  The density at 100km is about 6e-4 percent
the density at the surface.  You'd have to try *very* hard to make this appear
as a discontinuity.

> Could you please rewrite your density function to take this into
> account?

exp(-1.2e-4*(h/Meters-6375000))

Does that sound right?  Just be aware of precision issues if you're going to
model the earth in meters.

 - Ricky