POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bell curves : Re: Bell curves Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bell curves
From: triple r
Date: 31 Aug 2009 21:55:01
Message: <web.4a9c7e1a687fa7e9958421d50@news.povray.org>
SharkD <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I would like to create a function for a heightfield that has a nice bell
> curve shape, but can also be normalized between 0 and 1 along each axis.
> I've looked at the normal distribution and beta distribution functions,
> but they can only be normalized along one axis.

I don't know quite what you mean by normalizing a two-dimensional function along
one axis.  You can normalize the maximum of the function to 1.  You can
normalize the volume under the whole surface to one.  You can also normalize
the area under a cross-section, but which quantity do you want to normalize
along different axes?  What part of

exp(-((x/sigma_x)^2 + (y/sigma_y)^2) / 2)

makes it unsuitable for the purpose?  Please don't interpret the question
negatively; I just really don't understand the question.

 - Ricky