POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sun, atmosphere, haze etc. : Re: Sun, atmosphere, haze etc. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sun, atmosphere, haze etc.
From: Reactor
Date: 26 Aug 2009 15:50:00
Message: <web.4a95911da995826e53ea16990@news.povray.org>
SharkD <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
 The clouds are supposed to be dark underneath, but aren't when I render
> the scene.

> The location of the light source is well above the clouds. But, the
> light source is twice as bright. How might I modify the media to
> compensate? I suppose I could contain the clouds in a light group with a
> dimmer light source, but I'd rather avoid this since it affects things
> like shadows.
>
> -Mike

You can try increasing the extinction value in the scattering block.  By
default, extinction is 1.0, but you can increase it to something higher to
increase the amount of light absorbed by the media without actually thickening
the media.  By doing this, though, your clouds may have a very strong color
contrast with white at the tops and a very dark bottom.  You can control the
contrast of the clouds by balancing the scattering media with absorption and
emission medias.

-Reactor