POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What I'm learning about open source : Re: What I'm learning about open source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What I'm learning about open source
From: triple r
Date: 25 Aug 2009 20:15:00
Message: <web.4a947c3b2ecaea35bce6e7870@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Darren New escreveu:
> > When a project, no matter how well known, is still at 0.xxx after six
> > years, it's probably because it really does actually still suck to the
> > point where you don't want to try to use it in a professional setting.
>
> FOSS version numbers usually grow at snail pace.  Emacs is still at 23.1
> ever since the Paleolithic.  The Linux kernel is still 2.6!!

It's hardly relevant to bring it up here, but this is already off-topic, so
what's the harm?

I'm a huge fan of the TeX numbering system.  It's currently at version
3.1415926.  According to the Wikipedia page,

"TeX developer Donald Knuth has stated that the 'absolutely final change (to be
made after my death)' will be to change the version number to pi, at which
point all remaining bugs will become permanent features."

Seems a change bumping it up to pi violates the whole idea, but I love the idea
of convergence on an ideal rather than never-ending expansion.

 - Ricky