POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Modifying the coordinate system in POV-Ray : Re: Modifying the coordinate system in POV-Ray Server Time
2 Jul 2024 18:53:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modifying the coordinate system in POV-Ray
From: Reactor
Date: 18 Aug 2009 15:55:00
Message: <web.4a8b0646aff104eecb8a33dc0@news.povray.org>
"Samour" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Okay.. here is what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to scale the height field to
> make the default unit for the coordinate system to be 1 meter. So let's say for
> simplicity that the 1 regular unit in POV-Ray is being scaled by about 1000. The
> goal is to be able to use actual distances and sizes for translating and scaling
> objects on the height field.
>
> Now when initializing the height field and scaling it everything seems to work
> fine. However, scaling and translating objects or moving a camera works
> according to the original units, i.e. 1 unit along an axis corresponds to the
> new 1000 correspondence of the height field. So using translate 1 moves a huge
> distance rather than just moving 1 meter. Is there a recommended way to achieve
> this objective?

It sounds like you are describing the way transformations behave in terms of
order - in POV-ray, the order in which a transformation is applied is
important.
Consider this example:
// This:
sphere{ <0,0,0>, 1
  texture{ MyTex }
  translate <1,1,1>
  scale <5,5,5>
}
// is quite different from this:
sphere{ <0,0,0>, 1
  texture{ MyTex }
  scale <5,5,5>
  translate <1,1,1>
}

The first sphere will be centered at <5,5,5> with a radius of 5, the second will
have the same radius, but will be located at <1,1,1>.  You can think of scaling
as multiplying all dimensions of the shape by the scale value - translations
included.

HTH,
-Reactor