POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Modifying the coordinate system in POV-Ray : Modifying the coordinate system in POV-Ray Server Time
2 Jul 2024 19:31:42 EDT (-0400)
  Modifying the coordinate system in POV-Ray
From: Samour
Date: 18 Aug 2009 14:45:00
Message: <web.4a8af68815fa53864c007780@news.povray.org>
Okay.. here is what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to scale the height field to
make the default unit for the coordinate system to be 1 meter. So let's say for
simplicity that the 1 regular unit in POV-Ray is being scaled by about 1000. The
goal is to be able to use actual distances and sizes for translating and scaling
objects on the height field.

Now when initializing the height field and scaling it everything seems to work
fine. However, scaling and translating objects or moving a camera works
according to the original units, i.e. 1 unit along an axis corresponds to the
new 1000 correspondence of the height field. So using translate 1 moves a huge
distance rather than just moving 1 meter. Is there a recommended way to achieve
this objective?