POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : double_illuminate coefficient : Re: double_illuminate coefficient Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:42:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: double_illuminate coefficient
From: Mr
Date: 10 Aug 2009 05:55:00
Message: <web.4a7fee4cd27ecd66e3f0b2880@news.povray.org>
> Mr schrieb:
> > And Im sure there is a way by mixing several materials when I'm more familiar with
that.

> Probably not. To my knowledge, even POV-Ray gurus tried and failed. The
> best approach I've seen so far required adding extra geometry, to create
> a "sandwich" of surfaces: A plain-white double-illuminated inner core,
> between two colored, filtering outer surfaces; the outer surfaces'
> filter value would then be used to tune down the double_illuminate
> effect. As you can imagine, this is prohibitively complex for anything
> but the most simple geometry. It is also bound to be problematic with
> radiosity and photons.
>
> It would probably be possible to achieve the same with layered textures
> if the double_illuminate was a property of the texture - but alas! it is
> an object property.

> ... thinking about it, I'm just having another idea right here that
> might work: Place two identical copies of the object in a union, at
> exactly the same spot - except that you add double_illuminate to one of
> them but not the other. POV-Ray should then interpolate between the two
> objects, so that you should get a 50% double-illuminate effect. For
> other ratios, you'd have to add more copies of the object though.

I get the problem, thanks for warning me and thanks for the CSG idea, it can
probably help in another situation if it works but I won't event try because
what I was asking it for was hair, so already a lot of geometry... I guess such
a solution would saturate the memory of my poor machine, would'nt it?
I can start tweaking the translucency when the next beta is out.