POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SSTL mm_per_unit blend2pov : SSTL mm_per_unit blend2pov Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:40:40 EDT (-0400)
  SSTL mm_per_unit blend2pov
From: Mr
Date: 2 Aug 2009 09:20:00
Message: <web.4a759209d22e9c2ba31d17250@news.povray.org>
> The algorithm is designed to give realistic results at a scale of 10 mm per
> POV-Ray unit by default; for other scales, place the following statement in
> the global_settings section:
>
>   mm_per_unit NUMBER

Hi I'm new here, I'm a blenderhead. this SSTL feature attracted me to Povray.
What a beautiful piece of software!
My question is whether this mm_per_unit option was added just for SSTL and
applies only to it (which is not clued by the currently chosen keyword) or if
it will also have an incidence over the whole scene's scale and stuff like
photons, radiosity scale etc...?
Using Blend2pov and trying to make a skin shader, my current scale is 1 meter
per Blender Units, and I guess keeping the same in Pov units would make it
easier for me to get more intuitive and predictable results with other Pov
features later. So I tried mm_per_unit 1000 but I could not get the same
translucency with SSTL as I could achieve with mm_per_unit 100, which is indeed
closer to what the algorithm is optimized for.