POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 30 Jul 2009 11:05:00
Message: <web.4a71b35285a741ff85627c70@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why are certain forms of Christianity so scared of nation working
> together cooperatively (i.e. a single world government)?
> --
> ~Mike

Speaking as one who is a non-Christian, but by no means an anti-Christian, I
have some doubts about whether or not the phrase "a single world government"
has, generally speaking, the same meaning as "nation(s) working together
cooperatively."

At a glance, it just seems to be "common sense" that the global nature of the
problems currently confronting humankind calls for an equally global system for
addressing them. If there does exist a plausible means organizing the world's
resources on a global scale for the betterment of the human race (or better
yet, all life) as a whole, we would clearly be fools not to avail ourselves of
it.

Whether or not such a thing IS plausible, however, is quite a serious question.
The "putting all your eggs in one basket" analogy may be a tad cliche, but I
believe it to be applicable.  It doesn't require one of the world's greatest
scholars in the field of history to notice that when we humans centralize
authority to avail ourselves of some of the obvious practical advantages of
doing so, things can (and often do) go horribly wrong.

Sure enough,there are(sadly)plenty of folks who tend to oppose anything and
everything they associate with "globalization" simply because they don't much
care for them thar ferriners. It's a tremendous oversimplification, however, to
imply that anyone with reservations about the possible consequences of
centralizing authority over human activity on a global scale is of that limited
frame of mind.*

Hopefully, we will be clever enough to find ways to develop global systems for
social, political and economic interaction that enable and facilitate
cooperative action without falling into the trap of creating a "world overseer"
in the process.  If not, perhaps the arthropods will have better luck in a few
billion years.

Best Regards,
Mike C.

* I wish to make clear that this statement addresses the discussion that tends
to take place on this topic generally.  I am most definitely NOT saying that
any particular person on this forum has implied such a thing.