POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Straight Dope : Re: Straight Dope Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Straight Dope
From: clipka
Date: 29 Jul 2009 22:05:01
Message: <web.4a70fea3ffa85f6f74340c00@news.povray.org>
> > And if you look closely enough, science has actually led to what is commonly
> > considered one of the greatest cruelties in history: The Nazi-German Holocaust
> > - driven by belief in the concept of a "Herrenrasse", which was nothing than
> > Darwinism gone radical-fundamentalist.
>
> That wasn't science.

Yeah, that hurts scientific people to hear.

It was founded on *pure* science (sharing the same rationale as euthanasia at
that time) - Darwin's theories. The world at that time still had to learn that
science without morals is barbaric and cold right to the core.

The whole world, by the way. "Survival of the fittest"-type of thinking was very
popular back then all across the globe. Nazi-German excelled in it though.

> > Science led utterly astray, for sure.
>
> While they did do some awful experiments on humans, it wasn't science that
> gassed tens of millions of people.
>
> While they did do some awful experiments on humans, at least they didn't
> torture any animals!

Leaving aside that science did develop the means for gassing an incredible lot
of people, the *motivation* for these acts were firmly based on darwinism,
whether you like to hear that or not.

> Straw man.
> No, really, it doesn't. You just don't know what science actually is.

Very simple to type that as a response instead of really trying to grasp a
point.

I rather think you are refusing to accept the term "science" in the sense I'm
using it, because you don't like it being called a religion, and thrown from
its steeple.