POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. : Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:17:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's.
From: clipka
Date: 29 Jul 2009 13:05:00
Message: <web.4a7080aeddd03adedb9d8df0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> It's perfectly possible to handle Unicode properly. As clipka says, it
> was probably just a feature they threw in at the end without testing
> properly, that's all.

More like, shortly before official deadline for final release, Honda (which
*sure as heck* didn't develop it themselves) during testing happened to find
that scrolling fucked up the system with certain mp3s, complained, the
manufacturer found out it was due to Unicode being used, tried to quickly
implement a fix without success, and settled with Honda on working around by
disabling the scrolling altogether for Unicode in order to be able to deliver
in time for start of production of the new Honda Whatsitsname it was intended
for.

Meanwhile, the issue has been added to the list of items, marked as low
priority, to be fixed "later", when things run more smoothly. I.e. never,
because the new version with more features is already in the making, opening up
new cans of worms.

Been there, seen it - even done that. Not Honda, nor radios, but close enough.