POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Straight Dope : Re: Straight Dope Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Straight Dope
From: clipka
Date: 28 Jul 2009 13:40:00
Message: <web.4a6f3745ffa85f6fdcf616650@news.povray.org>
> Altho it's funny. I've started seeing religion in these types of articles.
> When people make fun of conspiracy theories, and then you read exactly the
> same thing and put the word "religion" in there, it sounds the same to me.
> Maybe that's just me, tho.

There's a common pattern there indeed: A tendency of people to attribute
everything they observe to the very same root cause.

In christianity for instance, everything bad is a conspiracy by Satan and his
demons. People denying it are obviously influenced by Satan, too. If something
conforms to the belief in God, it's proof for His existance; if something
contradicts it, it is a deception by Satan (or, alternatively, a test of
faith).

In conspiracianism, everything bad is a conspiracy by The Powers That Be. People
denying it are obviously influenced by The Powers, too (be it through money or
mind control). If some evidence speaks in favor of the conspiracy, it's another
proof of course; it something contradicts it, it is a cover-up plot by The
Powers That Be.

Not much of a difference here I guss.

In science, everything inexplicable is just a flaw in the accepted theories.
People refusing to accept those theories are obviously blinded by superstition.
If some experiment confirms their predictions, it's proof that the theories are
correct; if some experiment contradicts them, the system of theories just needs
some more refinement and consolidation.

Duh...

Maybe it's just that Man was designed (by means of Evolution of course) to
analyze, categorize, search for common patterns, etc.