POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 07:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: clipka
Date: 27 Jul 2009 21:00:00
Message: <web.4a6e4c6fac52dfd4813466d60@news.povray.org>
"David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> > I wouldn't be too surprised if people found a way to provide a BGI driver that
> > could open a window of a particular size and use it as a canvas. Heck, I even
> > personally wrote a driver for the SuperVGA modes of my own Trident TVGA 8900
> > card (except for the blitting operations which I found I didn't need) =B)
>
> I have several graphics "packages" which use the "Mode 13h" but programs
> compiled
> with them, even pre-compiled examples don't work with XP (and I suspect
> the graphics
> card I have is also incompatible).

I guess the graphics card would be perfectly fine with it - even today's
graphics card still include backwards compatibility with VGA, if only for
booting and just in case someone decided to run some old DOS.

XP (for good reason) doesn't allow you to access the graphics card directly
(just guess what happened if every application you have running on your
computer - say, browser, calculator, Windows Explorer and your own home-brewn
program - would try to poke around at the graphics hardware, maybe even trying
to run in different modes... perfect chaos.

But a suitable driver might provide a frame buffer of, say, 640x480 pixels for
you to use freely, and do the interfacing to Windows (including event handling)
for you, instead of directly accessing real hardware.

> The graphics routines in John Beales wonderful
> heightfield programs don't work, though the rest of the program does.

The name doesn't ring a bell.