POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something from Nothing? : Re: Something from Nothing? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:12:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something from Nothing?
From: clipka
Date: 27 Jul 2009 19:40:01
Message: <web.4a6e3a5ea9205ca0842b7b550@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   It just brings the (maybe a bit philosophical) question: How is it possible
> that everything has always existed?
>
>   (Of course this question becomes very complicated even in the physics
> sense, as the concept of time "before" the Big Bang becomes a bit complex.
> It's impossible for us to tell what, if anything, was before the Big Bang,
> including time itself. It's one of those impassable horizons in the universe.
> If time didn't "exist" before the Big Bang, then exactly what is it that
> happened?)

Hm, I like the idea someone brought up some posts ago:

Looking at the state of matter and the universe close to the Big Bang, isn't it
quite remniscient of a black hole?

Now near the singularity of a black hole, time slows down and approaches
standstill, from an outside observer's point of view.

So if we go back in time to the Big Bang, aren't we in a sense going back
*infinitely* long in time, making the question of what was *before* it a moot
one?