POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: clipka
Date: 27 Jul 2009 18:50:01
Message: <web.4a6e2e77ac52dfd4842b7b550@news.povray.org>
"David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> What's "plonk"? Or maybe I don't won't to know. ;)

WIYF - Wikipedia is your friend ;)

--------
Plonk is a Usenet jargon term for adding a particular poster to one's kill file
such that the poster's future postings are completely ignored. It was first
used in 1989 and by 1994[1] was a commonly used term on Usenet regarding kill
file additions.

The word is an example of onomatopoeia, intended to humorously represent the
supposed sound[2] of the user hitting the kill file. It is also sometimes given
as an acronym standing for Please Log Off, Net Kook, though this is likely a
backronym. Other used expressions are "put lamer on killfile" [3] and Please
Leave Our Newsgroup: Killfile!
--------

Not really polite unless the other party is really gone out of control (in which
case it's not polite either, just a good deal more adequate).