POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 27 Jul 2009 16:05:00
Message: <web.4a6e0763ac52dfd42d5649c20@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
[snip basic info]

For BASIC fans, the Rolls-Royce of traditional BASIC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_BASIC

This is the language in which I first learnt programming. Only available on
1980s-1990s Acorn computers in the UK (and parts of Europe), unfortunately, so
not widely known. However, on those 8-bit and 32-bit platforms, it was a very
complete inbuilt language, practically part of the OS. As well as named
functions, procedures, debugging tools and a built-in assembler, it had very
powerful graphics and sound abilities courtesy of its close alliance with the
OS. There were even keywords for directly poking and peeking to memory
(although that probably makes most people shudder these days!). It was often the
easiest tool for writing multitasking desktop apps too... :)