POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fire Power : Re: Fire Power Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fire Power
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 27 Jul 2009 04:10:00
Message: <web.4a6d607f83da27306dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom_no_underscores> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >   There's a persistent urban legend that the recoil of the GAU cannon is
> > so strong that firing it for long periods of time would stop the plane.
> > While the recoil is indeed impressive, it's not, however, strong enough
> > to stop the plane (but it can slow it down significantly).
>
> I'd never heard that one, but isn't that the gun that's fired out the
> side of the plane while it banks to compensate for the force?

The gun is off-centre, firing forwards, but I don't know about the banking. I
had heard that they tend to fire in short bursts to minimise adverse recoil
effects. I've also heard Warp's urban legend, although never heard it described
as anything but gospel!

You wouldn't need more than short bursts anyway, the rounds it fires are like
small artillery... :-\

I'd also heard that the plane handles very well for such a heavy aircraft.

Bill