POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta testers please! : Re: Beta testers please! Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta testers please!
From: William Pokorny
Date: 26 Jul 2009 19:55:00
Message: <web.4a6cec54117b82c7d2e3fb180@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > Source for linux beta 33 please!
>
>  Please grab it from there until it's available at povray.org:
>
> http://pov4grasp.free.fr/download/povray-3.7.0.beta.33.tar.bz2
>
>  - NC

Thank you. I was able to compile and run this on a ubuntu 9.04 dual core atom
processor / nettop box with no trouble related to the povray beta 33 code.

Render Time:
  Photon Time:      0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1.821 seconds)
              using 7 thread(s) with 2.127 CPU-seconds total
  Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
  Trace Time:       0 hours 11 minutes 40 seconds (700.418 seconds)
              using 4 thread(s) with 2724.505 CPU-seconds total

I really want a dual w5580 xeon box, which I expect would be about 20 times
faster - also 20 times more expensive! Good news here is hyper-threading looks
to be working really well for povray 3.7 in this new crop of Intel processors.

The i7 920 benchmark results posted a month or two ago in the unix group were
just ever so slightly slower than a benchmark run I did with beta 32 on a
borrowed 3 year old dual 4 core 3ghz+ xeon processor machine with no
hyper-threading. (i7 920 4 cores + hyper-threading looks roughly as fast as 8
older xeon cores for povray 3.7- cool)