POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: clipka
Date: 26 Jul 2009 17:00:00
Message: <web.4a6cc394ac52dfd4877441c40@news.povray.org>
"David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> But
> even an easy programming task can be made difficult by programming tools
> that are
> difficult to use.

No argument here - whether they be useless in general or just unsuited for the
task at hand. There are even programming languages *designed* to be so unsuited
for programming that there exist more compilers than working programs (Brainfuck
for instance, or Ook). But of course one doesn't have to resort to such
constructed examples in order to find particularly painful programming
languages or development tools.

That's why I think it is paramount that POV-Ray's next-generation SDL gets a
custom-tailored language syntax, instead of just integrating a parser and
runtime engine for a popular (or otherwise significant) scripting language as
often proposed.

> As I said in another post, I'm about ready to cut out of this thread.

I guess you're right, we're getting to the point where we're mainly reiterating.
I'll count on you reading that pov4 newsgroup though; have you managed to access
the earlier posts yet? If your newsreader still doesn't give you those, you may
try via the http://news.povray.org web interface to get an overview of what's
been discussed so far.