POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! : Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh!
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jul 2009 11:20:00
Message: <web.4a6b225c33922e4177d6b68c0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Oh, hell. My number one pet peeve... Move a directory, or like 200
> files. ***One*** frakking file, like 21 files in is "in use" by some
> process some place, and you don't remember that, so Windows not only
> pops up a damn dialog telling you that its in use, it promptly stops
> transferring ***any*** of the other files.

Better yet: *Copy* some huge directory tree - say, to make a backup - with one
of the files currently open in *exclusive* mode. And not #21/200, but, say,
#19233/20000.

"Copying..."

.... ages later...

*Ding!*
"Can't copy that file. Won't copy the remaining ones either."

Oh well, I'll close that MS Visual Studio then, and try again...

*Ding!*
"Target directory already exists. Want to copy it nonetheless?"

Sure, go ahead. We still have 767 files *somewhere* in there to copy.

*Ding!*
"Do you want to overwrite all that stuff you already copied earlier?"

Now remember that there's a "Yes Sir, all of them", but no "No, none of them
please, just the other ones"...

Raaargh! STUPID RETARD DIGITAL MORON, YOU!!!

(Knowing the procedure, I'm usually prompted for this exclamation already right
when it fails to copy a file in the first place...)

Fortunately, there's smarter software out there for such jobs.