POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sneaky Giant : Re: Sneaky Giant Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sneaky Giant
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jul 2009 10:45:01
Message: <web.4a6b1a1197d6a51977d6b68c0@news.povray.org>
> clipka wrote:
> > How can you be stealthy about an *Aircraft Carrier*??
>
> Compared to the size of the ocean? Yeah, actually, pretty small. You can
> even hide it behind a small island, for example.

I wouldn't be too surprised if even a decent modern research or weather
satellite had the capabilities to make out such a huge thing. Just look at the
resolution Google offers. Get something with only a tenth of the resolution but
with daily updates, and you can track that thing without any problems. Provided
it drifts with the current. If it actively moves, the wake will telltale it at
even lower resolutions.

Granted, in an asymmetrical war it might help to effectively hide the thing from
the enemy - but in an asymmetrical war, how on earth is anyone going to get
anywhere near a US airplane carrier anyway - let alone do any serious harm to
it?

And it's not like there wouldn't be any aircraft activity telltaling the
location of the carrier, by the way. Just manage to track *one* single plane on
its way home, and you know where that pilot keeps his toothbrush.

I guess this is more a case of some high-ranking guy being all in for this new
stealth technology (or somehow associated with a company that produces it ;))
and not thinking too much about it.