POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jul 2009 10:50:01
Message: <web.4a69c952ac52dfd46e32850e0@news.povray.org>
"David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
>   I don't want to have to write something like those programs, I have
> seen to produce a Pov-Ray
> script!

Um... wait a second here: You've looked at code written to create POV-Ray code?

Now that's metaprogramming, which tends to look sick in *any* language that's
not designed for it, whether it be OOP or not.

> But, apparently, that is a worry for only the remote future.

Hmm... I don't really think so. Not if you talk about decares here. 3.7 did
indeed take a while to come out (still not released), but after all it was a
major rewrite of virtually the whole code, with some serious design changes to
get it to support SMP. Compared to that, I guess development of POV-Ray 4 will
be a piece of cake - the main objectives (um... no pun intended here, really)
being that major overhaul of the SDL (but that will just mean a rewrite of the
parser, leaving the remaining code untouched), and a change in licensing to go
for GPL (not much left to do there; AFAIK virtually all previous contributors
have given their OK by now, and the remaining pieces of code have been
completely re-written).