POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't C Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't C
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jul 2009 10:05:00
Message: <web.4a69bf6e6bcf74ae6e32850e0@news.povray.org>
> I remember once way back, having written docs for the library, I was sitting
> there coding it up. (The project was a rewrite from BASIC to C, so I had a
> real good idea what the library needed to do.) I had a stack of
> documentation, and I was implementing each function.  The "best" programmer
> in the company comes up and asks what I'm doing, and I tell him. He points
> to the inch-thick print-out, asks what it is, and I tell him it's the docs.
> He says, sounding baffled, "How can you write the docs before the program?"
> I ask him "How can you know when you're done programming without writing the
> docs first?"

Now, ever wondered what the subtleties between SW development, programming and
coding may be?

What you did was SW development: Designing a program, then coding it.

What the other guy did was programming: Just make sure to produce a program, no
matter how...

:)

(BTW, did you know that your working style costs jobs? 'Cause as long as people
program software instead of developing it, you can't just outsource the coding
part to India... :P)