POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question regarding scattering media parameters : Question regarding scattering media parameters Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:46:10 EDT (-0400)
  Question regarding scattering media parameters
From: Samour
Date: 22 Jul 2009 10:55:01
Message: <web.4a67279e94feb88464c007780@news.povray.org>
I was wondering what is the source (from a physical/scientific perspective) of
the formulas for k that are related to the various scattering types and how
closely they resemble the actual scattering that would occur in a real world
context (with a focus on the Mie and Rayleigh types).

I am simulating a dust cloud and I was going through the source code to see if I
can make a clear correspondence between the parameters used in POV-Ray, namely k
and alpha, and those used when discussing scattering phenomenon such as
extinction and backscatter ratios. For example, is alpha the extinction
coefficient and k the backscatter? What is the relation between the real
parameters and the ones in POV-Ray? Thanks.

Samer