POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hidden files mystery : Re: Hidden files mystery Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hidden files mystery
From: gregjohn
Date: 20 Jul 2009 07:35:01
Message: <web.4a6455d0eeb7a6d734d207310@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] anti-spamcomcastnet> wrote:

> XP caches the thumbnails for speed, when XP browses a directory
> without a thumbs.db, it re-generates all the thumbs, which can
> be slow if there are a lot of images. Nothing  important is lost by
> deleting it though, it'll regenerate it when needed, it's just slower.
>
> Caching thumbnails can be turned off in folder options, if that's
> what you want.

Thanks. I normally need fast browsing of thumbmail images for just about
everything else I do, so I don't want to make a change to how WinXP works on a
day to day basis.  So I'll just have to make sure I burn the DVD on a linux
box.

Ironically, given the way that KDE 4 messed up the workflow for simple tasks
like moving files around in the file manager, I "have to" use WinXP for the
manipulation of files.