POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Questionable optimizations : Re: Questionable optimizations Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable optimizations
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jul 2009 16:15:01
Message: <web.4a637dd92c54829f69d21dbe0@news.povray.org>
>  > email virii
>
> I saw a great rant from someone who actually knows Latin about "virii".
> "Virii" is apparently the plural of some completely unrelated latin word,
> like "voice" or "people" or something.  "Virus" is apparently already a mass
> noun not unlike "stuff".

Actually, the word "virus" is taken from latin, originally meaning
"slime/poison/venom" ; the correct latin plural would be "vira", while "viri"
would be singular genitive; a double-i form ("virii") does not exist.

There's also a latin word having the plural form "viri" - that would be "vir",
meaning "man/hero"; again, no double-i form here.

If there existed a lating word with the plural form "virii", it would have to be
"viri" in singular. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such word in latin.