POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hidden files mystery : Hidden files mystery Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Hidden files mystery
From: gregjohn
Date: 17 Jul 2009 23:45:00
Message: <web.4a6144947f9cf2c834d207310@news.povray.org>
I got a DVD off the servers of an educational organization, Project Gutenberg.
Working on a Windows box, I added & deleted a bunch of files, all the while
keeping close track of the total file size as WinXP tells me. It's just a bunch
of HTML files in zillions of folders, some of which hold images.

With the new set of files now on a USB stick, I burn them to a new DVD. I get
indications from the Roxio software that my file size is just barely fitting
the DVD.   I take the USB stick to a Kubuntu Linux box for DVD burning. K3b
asks if I want to copy "hidden files", I say no, and now it's got 295 MiB of
free space!

I cannot think of a scenario where this makes sense.  Roxio being that
incompetent at counting, Project Gutenberg putting 295 MiB or "hidden" junk
into its files, K3b incompetently removing my needed material that I would have
liked on the DVD.

What gives?