POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Jul 2009 11:40:00
Message: <web.4a5f48d945e8e26c6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
> Even on Bioshock on the XBox360, if you suddenly turn around and look
> closely at something (machine, person, etc) you can see at least two or
> three levels of detail being drawn in - Smooth stuff, then clothes, then
> dirt/blood/etc, kind of thing.
>
> I don't know if it's because it's bringing it in off disk tho.

Maybe there's a trade-off between frame rate and frame quality. I've never
played Bioshock, but certainly GTA:SA wasn't dropping frames while this was
going on. By contrast, I've been playing Fallout3 recently (and loving it, I
might add), and while I've not seen any detail changes, occasionally the frame
rate drops when there's oodles of stuff going on.

I'd rather see the detail switch than the frame rate lower, personally, but
still...