POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: clipka
Date: 15 Jul 2009 00:00:01
Message: <web.4a5d537945e8e26c3964e90f0@news.povray.org>
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > Less to do with AI than with animation limitations. The more things you
> > have moving at the "best" rate, the harder your hardware needs to work.
>
> Is that really true? I thought the whole (visible) scene got pumped out to
> the graphics card on every frame. Hence the need for AGPx8 and such.

There is some stuff that - fortunately - does not need to be pumped around for
each frame. Traditionally, textures are such stuff. I bet static meshes are
another one these days: Applying the same transformation matrix to a wagonload
of vertices is no big deal for a GPU, and sufficient to have the object hover
around and maybe rotate.

One more reason to not animate stuff which is just barely visible.