POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : office help : Re: office help Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:29:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: office help
From: clipka
Date: 14 Jul 2009 22:45:00
Message: <web.4a5d429929c8d6a33964e90f0@news.povray.org>
"babybri11g" <bab### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello i am a high school student and i am fairly new to pov-ray. I was given an
> assignment to create an office and i would like to get your opnion on it and
> what improvements can be made. the following code is the code for my work in
> progress.

Welcome. Seems like your teacher already taught you the most important thing
already: Where to get help on POV-Ray issues. Two of your classmates already
asked some hours ago :)

Say, how many more classmates should we expect? :P

Some things I noticed about your scene:

- You include the standard include files multiple times, and have multiple light
sources (two of which are actually at the same position). Maybe some more
cleaning up of your code now and then might help. At least for the light
sources, this adversely affects your scene, as it is too bright (judging from
the chairs; you should be able to see a brightness difference between seat and
back).

- Glass objects work best when they are refractive (use the "interior" and "ior"
statements) and have something to reflect (try a brighter rear wall, for
instance, and maybe some ceiling).

- Your desks and chairs seem to be asymmetrical. With the desks, one side is
protruding (the one facing away from us); with the chairs, the left legs seem
to be thinner.

- I see that your objects "float" in the scene. To avoid this, make it a habit
of designing your objects so that y=0 is at floor level, and centered around
x=0 and z=0; this way, they stay on the floor and don't move in an unexpected
way when you scale them (scaling always leaves <0,0,0> at its current position;
all other points will move according to the scaling factor). Also, make it a
habit of *first* rotating, *then* translating (unless you have specific reason
to do otherwise), as rotation is always around <0,0,0>, and will cause all
objects not currently near <0,0,0> to move around in a typically undesired
fashion.

- I'm not sure what your intention is with the "merge". If you intended to give
these a different texture, or move them around together, the proper way of
doing it would be to list the objects first, *then* the desired texture and the
translation, rotations etc. you want to apply collectively. Also note that your
objects must be untextured for this to work, otherwise their own texture will
take precedence.