POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7 release? : Re: 3.7 release? Server Time
7 Jul 2024 05:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7 release?
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jul 2009 23:00:01
Message: <web.4a555c93c539e5247a70716b0@news.povray.org>
"Rocco" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "JeffBTX" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Sorry... this will sound like an annoying question, I don't mean it to be.
> >
> > Approximately how close is 3.7 to being released officially? (not-beta)
> >
> > Thanks
>
> For years, I use POVRay, the versions are released with a huge delay. I think
> POVRay is now mature enough, and does not need releases everyday. For sure, a
> 3D rendering software is never finished. There is always a lot of things to
> optimize, like subsurface scattering, physically-correct rendering, effects...
>
> Even if you don't like the word "beta", I think POVRay 3.7 is now stable and
> faster.

I guess the majority of what's still missing for an official release now is
housekeeping work, such as getting the documentation up-to-date, getting the
installer issues sorted out - stuff like that.

Still a lot of issues, desired features and nice-to-haves open, but the vast
majority of them have been around in 3.6 already, and are unrelated to the
major milestone of getting POV-Ray to make full use of SMP, so I guess they
might just as well be postponed for 3.7.1.

One thing I'd love to see sorted out properly in 3.7 already is gamma handling
though. It's still wanting in many ways, and I don't think it would be prudent
to change it from 3.6 to 3.7.0, and then again already from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1.