POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Star and Earth Atmosphere modelling : Re: Star and Earth Atmosphere modelling Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Star and Earth Atmosphere modelling
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jul 2009 19:40:00
Message: <web.4a552def7fef4635de52d56d0@news.povray.org>
"Keith Lofstrom" <keithl AT kl dash ic dot com> wrote:
> I would like to be able to "force the seed" for random number
> generation - any way to do that, besides hacking the POV-Ray code?

What exactly do you mean?

SDL random number streams are always force-seeded from your scene code.

POV-Ray's internal RNGs are force-seeded, too, though the seeds are hard-coded
so you cannot directly tweak the value. But I wonder what the benefit of that
would be? After all, you cannot even control when numbers are pulled from the
streams, so what use would it be to control the start values?