POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Teaching Ideas : Re: Teaching Ideas Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teaching Ideas
From: Reactor
Date: 5 Jul 2009 18:30:01
Message: <web.4a5128aef039098eea3a11f0@news.povray.org>
"quoderatd" <quo### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am a TA for a summer course that teaches povray for about three weeks
> (5 days a week 2-3 hours a day) to high school students.
>
> I have gone through povray tutorial and I can show some of the basic
> techniques (which is enough for this course), but I have trouble
> coming up with engaging ways.
>
> The only method I can think of is to do it yourself type of teaching
> where I render a picture and explain the codes I used and ask the students
> to do it, then going around the classroom (10-15 students) making sure
> they are ok with it.
>
> I wanted to ask if any of you have a practical yet interesting ideas.
>
> Even with my current method, I am quite troubled due to my inexperience in both
> povray and teaching. Because I lack (somewhat) creativity, I have hard time
> thinking of projects or pictures to draw.
>
> Thanks

Have you considered using simple, commonly available everyday objects as
references for creating simple, commonly available everyday objects in Povray?
;)

That can be as difficult or as easy as you make it, depending on their (and
your) skill levels, and having a good reference object that you can view from
different angles and measure may make things easier.

-Reactor