POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dust motes : Re: Dust motes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dust motes
From: Reactor
Date: 3 Jul 2009 19:30:00
Message: <web.4a4e93ecec282374c0ba268c0@news.povray.org>
> I was wondering how to achieve the effect of seeing
> dust motes as glowing specks in a light ray. I tried
> using scattering media but then I also got black spots
> outside the light ray. Of course I could just restrict
> the container but I'm looking for a more "purist" way
> to understand how real dust motes work ;)

If you post your code, I can be more helpful, but I'd like to remind you that
scattering media has an absorption component controlled by the 'extinction'
keyword - I don't know if the black spots you are referring to are areas where
the media absorbed some of the light coming toward the camera or not.

Alternatively, Tim's recommendation of the clear-but-shiny motes would also be a
good way.

-Reactor