POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video games : Re: Video games Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video games
From: Chambers
Date: 26 Jun 2009 16:50:01
Message: <web.4a453377bb8b444d261d9700@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   There are a few chess engines out there which at easiest difficulty
> levels will make deliberate mistakes. In other words, rather than blindly
> choosing the best move it has seen so far, it deliberately at times chooses
> a slightly worse one, just to lower the difficulty level. This is also
> adjusting the AI (in a way that it sometimes ignores better moves as if it
> had never even seen them).

When I was working on my triangular chess game, I experimented with different
methods of "rating" a given board, and using those ratings to come up with
compound ratings for the different possible moves.

At that point, though, I used fuzzy logic to pick the move the computer would
use.  Adjusting the "fuzziness" made for a similar effect, where sometimes you
would see the PC make a move that just made you go, "Wha?"

Overall, it wasn't as effective as traditional brute-forcing (I only went about
ten levels deep on the highest difficulty setting), but it also felt more
satisfying to program.

....Chambers