POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : an extraordinary rotation question : Re: an extraordinary rotation question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: an extraordinary rotation question
From: mysdn
Date: 23 Jun 2009 19:30:00
Message: <web.4a4163bbcfb6d60e4e47a1b0@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:

> You mentioned a 2D application at the start of this thread. This would

Yes, a 2D app is going to write the whole SDL file, so it needs to be automated.
and I love this macro idea, if I can get it to actualy work.

The macro idea seems like the key but it must be parameterized for different
types cabinets, I suppose there would be upto 100 macros for cabinets. Other
objects in my scene don't need macros defined for them cause they are mesh
objects. Mostly, this is a cabinet application and it will be cabinets causing
the biggest headaches. Yes Froeschlin suggested  a parameterized macro but he
left it empty inside, could you guys fill in some more blanks in that macro?
I need some variables set inside the macro, some variables set at object
declaration, meaning when placed in the scene.

macro should use the box_POV_geom.inc I exported from Max, scaled to
<0.01,0.01,0.01> so that we can multiply it by eg. 50 (that will be 50 cm)
sample cabinet's width 50, height 75, depth 60 cm
for textures I use jpegs

the case of cabinet should be constructed by 5 pieces of box_POV_geom.inc, not
CSG. Because I want to texture side panels and top , bottom differently.
the door also constructed as 6th piece from box_POV_geom.inc
the handle is a mesh I have, you can use box_POV_geom.inc, just to show

Variables inside macro, all values passed to the macro at invoke time:

Scale xyz
rotate xyz (maybe this can be left outside the parameter list and set from call)
case_texture
door_texture
shelf_texture
handle_texture
shelfCount
hasDoor
hasCountertop
hasToe
hasTopMolding
hasBottomMolding
hasHandle
handle_right_left (or hinge)
handle_Pos   (handle may be anywhere on cabinet)

Can you comment the code some, especially the variables, declarations?
I guess I can put the macro in a text file, place it in POV folder and call it
from the SDL, right?

It will certainly clarify a lot. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
I don't want you people to do my work for me, I'm trying to learn, cause with
hundreds of macros I need, no one can do it for me? just teach me if you will.
It seems like I only need one fully working macro. Then I 'll take it form there
like a thunder.