POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Walking : Re: Walking Server Time
9 Oct 2024 04:02:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Walking
From: clipka
Date: 20 Jun 2009 21:30:00
Message: <web.4a3d8b04c46391d273b318a20@news.povray.org>
> 8 hours of dancing: The tendons at the back of my legs knee hurt.
>
> 8 minutes of walking: The muscles on either side of my shin bones hurt.

Nothing really wrong there.

With each step you take, you're using your feet together with your lower leg
muscles not only to push yourself forward and upward, but also to dampen your
steps, to reduce the impact forces acting on your joints and spine each time
you put a foot down.

When dancing, you usually do this by putting down your feet toes first,
providing a good lever for the muscles at the back of your legs to catch your
weight softly and elegantly as a feather (ideally :P).

The same approach, however, would be atypical for walking (probably because it
wastes more energy), and you'll instead put down your feet heel first (unless
you're wearing high heels :P). The drawback is that this not only gives you a
shorter lever, but also requires different muscles to become active. Guess
which ones...

So it's perfectly normal that it's *them* that hurt. If you're walking a good
deal more than usual, that is.