POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A problem regarding the size of the rentered image : Re: A problem regarding the size of the rentered image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A problem regarding the size of the rentered image
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jun 2009 21:15:01
Message: <web.4a3993f6dd1514c45339cfa0@news.povray.org>
"trexgr" <vic### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> This however is only a part of the solution. How can I have absolute control of
> the size of the image (its a simple 2D image by the way, no animation) and its
> resolution ? For example, how can I specify that the output picture should be
> EXACTLY 5.43 inch x 3.24 inch, with 300 DPI resolution?

This is not supported by POV-Ray; you will have to calculate the proper
resolution (e.g. 5.43*300 = 1629 by 3.24*300 = 972 pixels), and then run the
image through an image-processing software such as Gimp, Photoshop or
what-have-you.

> Also, where and how do
> I change the output type, and instead of BMP get either TGA or TIFF ?

See section "3.1.2.4.1  Output File Type" in the POV-Ray 3.6 documentation. You
can enter the appropriate options (e.g. "+FT" for TGA) in the field to the
right of the resolution dropdown box.

That's also the box to use for ad-hoc custom resolutions. See section "3.1.2.2.1
 Height and Width of Output" for how to specify the resolution.

For instance, for a 5.43 x 3.24 inch image at 300 DPI in TGA format, you'd
specify "+FT +W1629 +H972". (But, as already said, you'd have to fix the DPIs
using an image processing tool.)