POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A question : Re: A question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:29:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jun 2009 15:25:00
Message: <web.4a3942cc5cdc36127705fe780@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> Might it be possible, in some future version of POV to have parametrized
> plant-life objects in the SDL itself?  I would very much like to place a tree
> at a given location and have it grow at that spot without passing through local
> objects.
>
> I have some idea that this would not be an easy task, but an informed opinion
> would be appreciated.

I would be very much surprised to see such a thing "natively" in POV-ray;
however, there's reason to be optimistic that POV-Ray 4.0 will come with a
scripting language powerful enough to realistically allow for plant growth
macros to be implemented in it; sort of "smart plants", so to speak - something
along the lines of that famous Ivy Generator running in POV's SDL.

Theoretically, such things could be implemented in the current SDL, too - but
you don't want to wait for parsing *that* long I guess :P