POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Should POV-Ray go green? : Re: Should POV-Ray go green? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should POV-Ray go green?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 17 Jun 2009 12:25:01
Message: <web.4a3918d4647a8f1881c811d20@news.povray.org>
"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
> I'm considering making a proposal to drop the pdf and postscript printable
> versions of the documentation, but first I'd like to conduct a poll to see
> what everyone thinks.
>
> Good idea .... or bad?
>
> Jim

Bad idea.  Everyone should have the option to print out the documentation if it
meets their needs.  It shouldn't be up to POV to force a 'green' policy on the
end users.  Besides, there are always ways of circumventing the restrictions if
one really wishes to do so.

By providing only electronic versions (not mailing out paper copies) POV has met
its own green requirements and clear conscience.  It should be up to the
individual as to what their own personal green agenda is.

At best perhaps include a discalimer to the docs urging people not to do so
unless absolutely necessary, much as people add to their email sigs these days
(From our work email sigs:  Please consider the environment before
printing this e-mail)

-tgq