POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Real Americans V. The Plague : Re: Real Americans V. The Plague Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:11:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real Americans V. The Plague
From: JeffBTX
Date: 11 Jun 2009 12:50:00
Message: <web.4a3134eafcfd56f31085efc60@news.povray.org>
First; CAUTION with that term "REAL American". What is a REAL American? I could
easily say that the only REAL Americans are those that have sacrificed and
endured hardships for their country - as opposed to civilians who haven't (and
wouldn't). My paternal grandmother, who grew up on a Navajo reservation in New
Mexico, might say that the only REAL Americans are Native Americans. Rush
Limbaugh would say that the only REAL Americans are card-carrying registered
Republicans - EVEN if they are hypocritical drug addicts who are addicted to
pain killers, and apparantly eat enough food to result in an enormous girth,
enough food in one week to probably keep a small family alive for a month or
more.

Accuracy;
The full SUB-title was "How I learned to stop worrying and learned to love the
bomb.". The TITLE of the movie was "Doctor Strangelove". A fiction. An
entertainment. A parody, actually. I have it on DVD by the way, excellent
movie. To paraphrase a fiction (especially this type of fiction, in the context
that you used it) in an attempt to prove a point detracts from the validity of
your post. It looks foolish.

By the way, another favorite classic of mine is "Seven Days in May". Personally,
I root for General James Mattoon Scott. Being a military retiree, and a
stereotypical "angry, disillusioned veteran", that would be no suprise. I would
be DELIGHTED to see a large force march on Pennsylvania Avenue, and "kick some
rear". NOT in/for a military takeover (as such) (or maybe, YES!), you
understand, but to force government officials to do their jobs. Do their jobs
efficiently, with competence, and with the welfare of the people and the
country a priority (rather than other agendas).

Logic;
Okay... it may very well be that some people sometime who have ingested
flouridated water at some point might have experienced some vague symptoms
similar to what you describe. I don't know. But how many MILLIONS (billions?)
of "flouridated people" have lived long, healthy lives without ill effect? Your
post is alarmist.

As to " ... wanting you silenced ... "; I don't know the details, but I CAN
sympathize. Recently, in a games forum, a supposed "vietnam veteran" (who
served maybe 2 years) who's "life was saved by the VA" (Veterans
Administration) banned me from his games server for criticizing the VA. In the
forum, he stated that I "should move to another country" (along with other
insults). Me - who served in the military for 22 years. My criticism was based
on MY experience with the VA, on my SPECIFIC case, and I had just as much right
to an opinion as he did. This person (it became apparant as time went on) is a
petty hypocrite with a tin god complex - an "anti-veteran veteran" - who just
wanted to "show off". My critical comment was a ONE-LINER, embedded within a
post on another subject altogether.

But in the long run, one is happier if one just forgets about it. So what? There
are other things in life that are far more worthy of attention.

Far more dangerous to society are those that "go off half cocked", and force
invalid concepts on society that in the long run have no real, tangible effect
and cost everyone hard earned money.

If it worries you, water filtration systems are fairly cheap and convenient.
Those Brita Water Pitchers come to mind.