POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dying? : Re: Dying? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dying?
From: Sylvain
Date: 10 Jun 2009 18:15:00
Message: <web.4a3030166b99c8fbe60e0e500@news.povray.org>
Well, POV-Ray is certainly not dying and we still have to pay respect to the
great work that has been carried on to achieve such a nice piece of software.
But still. The website is seldom updated, most discussions occur on the
off-topic group, we keep seeing spheres on a checkered plane on the image
digest and the software seems to go from one beta to the other. Maybe, someday,
3.8 will show up...
I know a couple of people are working hard to keep improving pov-ray but I
cannot help feeling that this software is slowly getting "out of place", and
quite the private matter of a couple of people, and not a big community.
There are so many great projects going on around, such as Luxrender, Yafray,
each of them working well with Blender.
I used to be a pov fan, but I am lost with the licences issues (open-source, not
open-source, etc...) and, by reading the newsgroup over the years, do not know
where this software is heading to.
I know this is very easy to say and I am certainly not the best to judge, since
I never ever took on my time to help the developpers writing a single line of
code. I just feel a bit bitter hearing less and less people doing digital
images around me talking about pov-ray.