POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: alphaQuad
Date: 7 Jun 2009 16:15:00
Message: <web.4a2c1efad4479e563559bb670@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > This kind of thread can cause no good.
>
> Just out of curiosity, and I ask this as an atheist asking an intelligent
> person of faith, do you think it's ever possible to have a useful discussion
> between disagreeing parties? :-)
>
> I find discussing it can be useful to me, not because it makes me change my
> mind or because I change someone else's mind, but because it lets me
> understand the other point of view better, and lets me deal with religion
> better.
>
> --
>    Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
>    There's no CD like OCD, there's no CD I knoooow!

Yes you have a point, at least when one of the parties feels threatened by new
ideas. The reason they feel threatened is that their beliefs, in which they are
not very secure, are threatened. The next step is realizing their own
gullibility. Few if any are willing to face such a weakness and vulnerability.
Being loving means vulnerability.

So you can see how an unloving person would easily jump to wanting to kill the
thread saying that it can only cause flame wars. Don't worry I am sitting right
here with a fire extinguisher.

If all were secure in their beliefs it could only be an interesting and humorous
discussion.