POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pausing processes between reboots : Re: Pausing processes between reboots Server Time
16 May 2024 22:06:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pausing processes between reboots
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jun 2009 16:10:00
Message: <web.4a2c1e5c800c7d1d3c810450@news.povray.org>
"Valerij Rozouvan" <val### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> To reproduce this test case, I have uploaded the necessary files:

HOLY MOLY!

Having looked at & tried this, I'm actually pretty sure that the problem is
*not* that the +C re-starting of the render takes longer each time.

I'm pretty sure that it's the complexity of the lower part of the scene that
cranks up rendering time like crazy.

In other words: From line ~200 onward, you're not getting 11 hours for a +C
re-start - you're getting ~11 HOURS PER LINE!

You should *really* tune down those anti-aliasing settings. Are you aware that
with Sampling_Method=2, Antialias_Depth=8 means that you may be rendering up to
257*257 (= 66049) rays *PER PIXEL*? And that Antialias_Threshold=0.003 means
that POV-Ray will virtually *always* go down to this depth, except for areas
showing only large-scale structures?

What on earth, in heaven or in hell do you need that for? There's no way anyone
will *ever* be able to notice any difference.

Any pixel effects you're still seeing in your printout (or whatever you do with
the output) are definitely due to the low resolution, not a lack of
anti-aliasing - so maybe you want get those settings back to decent levels
(Antialias_Depth=3 and Antialias_Threshold=0.1 should perfectly suffice for
your scene), and double or quadruple your resolution instead.

I promise, you'll be more than happy with the results - and you won't have to
wait for ages. Maybe 16 hours for a 3200*2400 pixels render. Which you'll be
perfectly able to abort and then continue later.