POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : UK mains voltage : Re: UK mains voltage Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UK mains voltage
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jun 2009 10:25:01
Message: <web.4a2bccabdfb8f5066a18a93d0@news.povray.org>
> It might need to be more regulated on three-phase wiring, and I don't know
> if the frequency is different between the generator and the wall-socket
> (altho I doubt it), so I'm not sure just where the accuracy is enforced.

The frequency is all the same, from the high-voltage power grid down to the
light bulb, or the three-phase-driven gadget.

Which is logical given that the voltage is transformed up and down using
straightforward electromagnetic transformators (which is what the AC is for in
the first place).

It also explains why power companies are so eager to get the frequency as
precise as possible: Every phase shift between different power plants feeding

off-phase would effectively *drain* from the grid whatever power it tried to
feed into it. Which btw wouldn't be healthy for the infrastructure, I guess,
because the annihilated power must go *somewhere*. And that somewhere will heat
up dramatically. Or produce dramatic magnetic fields. Or whatever.

So they rather pop some ultra-heavy-duty breaker at the slightest sign of an
off-phase feed.