POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pausing processes between reboots : Re: Pausing processes between reboots Server Time
16 May 2024 22:11:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pausing processes between reboots
From: Valerij Rozouvan
Date: 7 Jun 2009 10:25:00
Message: <web.4a2bcc50800c7d12d0ad04d0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> However, speaking of POV-Ray in particular, you can abort a render, and resume
> it later using the +C command line option (make sure all other options are the
> same).

I am aware of this. However, it is sufficient only in the case when you stop a
render job once or twice. If you do it every couple of lines, the startup times
for each new resume add up. Now you can imagine that if a line takes 10~15
minutes, it would take 5~6 days of constant rendering (800x600 image). Now if
you introduce interrupt/resume, it will take MORE than 12 days (assuming that
you render half of a day). I imagine that it will take close to 2 months! Why?
Because when POV-Ray resumes a job with 2 lines already rendered, it processes
them fairly quickly (5~10 minutes), and starts rendering new lines. But if it
starts a resumed render with 200~300 lines, it will take ~11 hours!!!! before
it will get to actually rendering new material...

That's why I am looking for alternate ways of doing large renderings.

> How about one of those energy-saving standby modes? Maybe suspend-to-disk is
> sufficiently close to what you want. (Don't know whether Linux supports it; but
> given that Windows does, Linux should be perfectly capable of such stunts as
> well, right? :P)

For now, this approach is faulty. Hibernate is not that stable to do 20+
hibernates (without a proper shutdown in between). Especially when there are
programs running which are using nearly 100% memory (RAM + swap).

Thanks in advance,
Valerij Rozouvan

http://www.freewebs.com/rozouvan/